Stoofperen are one of my favorite things to make in the fall or winter. Stoofperen are pears poached in blackberry sauce (but they are often poached in red wine or port as well) with some sugar and cinnamon. It is a traditional Dutch dish and most people make it as a side dish for dinner or use the pears in desserts. They are also popular at Christmas dinners. It is just the perfection of the sweet pears with the sour blackberry sauce and the heart warming taste of cinnamon that makes me want to make stoofperen as soon as I find out the pears are in store again, which is usually in october. I always use Giese Wildemann, a small pear which is perfect for poaching. Gieser Wildeman pears do become red on their own when you cook them for 3 hours or longer. As I often don’t have enough time for this, I always add the blackberry juice for both color and taste.
- 9 to 10 Giese Wildeman pears
- A bottle of Betuwe blackberry juice
- 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Cinnamon, enough to lightly coat the pears
What do you need to do?
- Peel the pears and cut them in half. Take out the core of the pears.
- Put the pears in a cooking pan and add the sugar and the cinnamon. I don’t have an exact amount of cinnamon I use, as long as you take care of lightly coating all of the pears.
- Add the entire bottle of blackberry juice.
- Put the pan on the heat and bring it to a boil.
- Turn down the heat as low as you can and let the pears simmer for at least an hour to an hour an a half. Keep a watch on the pan, as you don’t want it to burn.
- Turn the pears regularly, to make sure they all are in the juice.
- The stoofperen are ready when they feel soft, but don’t really fall apart just yet and they are a dark red/purple.
- Eat them for example with Brussel sprouts and cooked potatoes or in your dessert.
You can use them the next day as well, either heated or cold. They are often even tastier the next day, because the tastes have infused in the pears more. The sauce can be used as well, for example in yoghurt or on pancakes. Make this traditional Dutch stoofperen and enjoy it with your family. Kids will love it too!