Even though the wheather doesn’t show signs of spring at the moment (it looks more like fall actually) spring is here and it is Easter in exactly one week already! That’s why I decided to make some cute Easter bird’s nest cupcakes on this rainy day. To get in the mood a bit already. These cupcakes are really easy to make, not too big, so you can easily enjoy them with a cup of coffee or tea and I bet they would look great on an Easter Brunch table as well.
I used a simple plain vanilla cupcake for the base, with a rich chocolate buttercream on top, sprinkled with chocolate sprinkles (yay for hagelslag!) and some small candy eggs I found at my local supermarket Albert Heijn. I made only six cupcakes, a small portion, because I didn’t want to eat cupcakes everyday for the next week, especially with two days of Easter brunches coming up. So if you want to make more, you would need to multiply the amounts of ingredients.
So, what do you need to make these cute cupcakes?
- 60 grams of flour
- 70 grams of granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 20 grams of butter at room temperature
- 60 ml milk
- half an egg
- a drop of vanilla extract
- a cupcake tray
- paper cupcake liners
For the buttercream:
- 150 grams of sieved powdered sugar
- 50 grams of butter at room temperature
- 30 grams of cacao powder
- 20 ml milk
- Chocolate sprinkles (Hagelslag)
- Small candy eggs
How do you make the cupcakes?
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees Celcius
- Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in the mixing bowl and mix on a low speed untill the mixture looks sandy and everything is mixed in well
- Gradually add half of the milk and mix untill the milk has just been absorbed into the mixture
- Wisk the egg, vanilla extract and the rest of the milk in a separate bowl.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix untill everything is absorbed well and untill the mixture is smooth
- Place the cupcake liners into the cupcake tray and fill them for 2/3 with the batter.
- Place them into the oven for 20 to 25 minutes. The cupcakes are done when they are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean
- Let them cool inside the tray for a couple of minutes and place them on a cooling rack afterwards to cool down entirely
- Start making the buttercream by whisking the powdered sugar, butter and cacao powder together untill everything had combined well
- Then gradually add the milk, adding some more only after the milk has been absorbed completely into the mixture
- Keep mixing for a couple of minutes, so the buttercream becomes light and fluffy
- Spoon it into a piping bag with a crenated nozzle and start piping a spiral from the outside. Make an extra circle on the edge.
- Place a layer of chocolate sprinkles in a small bowl and dip the top of the buttercream in it, creating a layer around the edge. Then place 3 candy eggs in the middle, creating a bird’s nest.
I thought these cupcakes were so cute and they taste delicious as well! The chocolate buttercream has a rich chocolate taste, but it is not too heavy at all. It combines great with the vanilla flavor of the cake. If you are looking for a small recipe for Easter, these cupcakes are perfect for you!